Hydrosphere Investigation Protocols
- Protocols Introduction
- Instrument Construction: Transparency - Instructions on how to build a secchi disk and transparency tube for monitoring water transparency.
- Instrument Construction: Freshwater Macroinvertebrates - Instructions on how to build several types of instruments for monitoring freshwater macroinvertebrates.
- Selecting and Documenting a Hydrosphere Study Site - Instructions are provided on how to select, describe and map a hydrosphere study site.
- Water Sampling - Instructions are provided on how to how to collect a water sample for testing.
- Water Transparency Protocol - Students will first measure water transparency at their undisturbed study site using a transparency tube or Secchi disk.
- Water Temperature Protocol - Students will measure the temperature of water.
- Dissolved Oxygen Protocol - Students will measure dissolved oxygen in the water at their site using a dissolved oxygen test kit or probe.
- Electrical Conductivity Protocol - Students will measure electrical conductivity of water at freshwater hydrology sites.
- Salinity Protocol - Students will measure the salinity of a salty or brackish water sample using a hydrometer and thermometer.
- Optional Salinity Titration - Students will measure the salinity of saltwater using a salinity titration kit.
- pH Protocol - Students will measure the pH of water using either pH paper or a pH meter.
- Alkalinity Protocol - Students will measure the alkalinity of water using an alkalinity test kit.
- Nitrate Protocol - Students will measure the nitrate-nitrogen content of water using a nitrate test kit.
- Freshwater Macroinvertebrates - Students will collect, identify, and count macroinvertebrates at freshwater hydrology sites.