2020 IVSS Stipend Drawing Winners Selected
Congratulations to the 2020 GLOBE International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS) stipend drawing winners! A drawing was held on Earth Day, 22 April, and the following projects were selected (each project earned a 4-star student research badge – the highest ranking possible – and at least two other optional badges; this year, 76 projects qualified for the drawing):
- Africa Region: Title: Identification of Mosquito Larval Species at SSA Mombasa, Kenya - 2; Teacher: Kennedy Otieno; School: Shree Swaminnarayan Academy; Location: Kenya
- Asia And Pacific Region: Title: Faith-based Communities Affecting Breeding Sites of Mosquito Larvae at Samui Island, Thailand using Drone imagery and GLOBE Observer: Habitat Mapping App; Teacher: Wanwipa Sutthakiet; School: Samsen Wittayalai; Location: Thailand
- Europe and Eurasia Region: Title: Representation of the invasive species of trees shrubs in Daruvar - 2; Teacher: Sandra Milek; School: Tehnicka skola Daruvar; Location: Croatia
- Latin American and Caribbean Region: Title: El comportamiento de las palomas durante el Eclipse Solar 2019; Teacher: Julieta Micucci; School: Escuela Primaria Particular Incorporada N°1345 Nuestra Señora del Carmen; Location: Argentina
- Near East and North Africa Region: Title: The effect of irrigation with sulfur water on soil, land cover, and adaptation of some living organisms; Teacher: nawar alrawahi; School: Um hany Basic School; Location: Oman
- North America Region: Title: How Does Aerosol Optical Thickness (AOT) Vary Within 50 Kilometers of Lake Erie?; Teacher: Jeff Bouwman; School: Shumate Middle School; Location: United States
- North America Region: Title: The Effects of Aerosols on Water Quality; Teacher: Amy Woods; School: St. Francis Xavier Catholic School; Location: United States
The GLOBE Implementation Office received 263 projects from 29 countries, including seven countries new to the IVSS. More than 140 judges scored the projects and provided constructive feedback to the students. (Look for more information about the judges in the June GLOBE News Brief.) Teachers were emailed the feedback as well as student certificates and virtual badges were posted on the school pages on the GLOBE website.
To learn more about these projects, click here.
Congratulations to the drawing winners!
News origin: GLOBE Implementation Office