International Virtual Science Symposium
Projects for 2020 are due on 10 March 2020!
GLOBE is excited to host the 2020 GLOBE International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS)! The IVSS is a way for primary through undergraduate students from all GLOBE countries to showcase their research and hard work. With GLOBE, students learn the practices of science through hands-on investigations in their own communities, sparking their curiosity and interest in science. This often leads to inquiries that help solve real-world problems and further understanding of our global environment. It's time for your students to show the world what they've learned!
IVSS Informational Webinar:
For the 2020 IVSS, we are accepting reports in multiple languages! However, this depends largely on availability of judges who are fluent in those languages, so make sure to encourage people to sign up to judge! We always accept reports in English, and will likely be able to accept reports in: Spanish, French, Arabic, and Croatian. For our first year trying this - please submit only one report document that includes both languages (English and the other language.) Separate them within two parts of the same document. Thank you!
Submitting a Report:
Submissions are being accepted from now until 10 March 2020. The submission tool is available on the "Instructions" page.
Virtual Badges + Drawing:
All students who submit a project to the IVSS will receive feedback from judges and virtual badges on their school page. Additionally, each project that receives a four-star student research badge plus a minimum of two optional badges will be eligible for a drawing to receive a stipend to attend the 25th Anniversary GLOBE Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, USA in July 2020. The stipends are as follows:
- North America: Two projects will receive $1000 USD
- Africa: One project will receive $2000 USD
- Asia and Pacific: One project will receive $2000 USD
- Europe and Eurasia: One project will receive $2000 USD
- Latin America and Caribbean: One project will receive $2000 USD
- Near East and North Africa: One project will receive $2000 USD
Note that only students selected through the IVSS and the US Student Research Symposia will be able to attend the 25th Anniversary GLOBE Annual Meeting.
Timeline/ Important Dates:
- Informational Webinar - 30 October 2019
- Reports accepted - Mid to late January - 10 March 2020
- Due date for all student reports - 10 March 2020
- Judging Webinar - 30 March 2020 (10am MT)
- Click here to join
- Judging Period - 30 March - 6 April 2020
- Feedback and Virtual Badges Shared - 22 April 2020
- Drawing for stipends - 22 April 2020