17 October: Join GLOBE Mission Mosquito Kick-off Webinar
Mosquitoes are the world’s most dangerous animal – and you can do something to shed light on this critical issue. Join the Mission Mosquito Field Measurement Campaign! Scientists around the world are finding ways to better understand the preferred environmental conditions and types of habitats that mosquitoes prefer. Are you ready to help?
The GLOBE Mission Mosquito Campaign
The goal of GLOBE Mission Mosquito is to create an organized citizen science community, primarily through formal education with targeted outreach to informal education, that will conduct and report local observations using the GLOBE Observer Mosquito Habitat Mapper (GO MHM). Using the mobile app, citizen scientists identify potential breeding sites for mosquitoes, sample and count mosquito larvae, and with optional equipment, examine and photograph a specimen to identify its genus.
Campaign outreach events will connect the GLOBE Observer citizen science community with NASA scientists who want to work in partnership with citizen scientists and use GO MHM data. NASA scientists are interested in understanding changing weather patterns, extreme weather events, insect ecology and human behavior affect the range, frequency and distribution of mosquito vectors that can potentially cause disease.
To learn more about the campaign, click here.
Kick-off Webinar: 17 October
The kick-off webinar will take place on Wednesday, 17 October 2018 (8:00 p.m. EDT). This virtual (via Zoom) webinar will explain the reason behind this new campaign, and share some of the ways in which the data collected will be useful to both scientists and those involved in public health efforts.
Webinar participants will hear from scientists in the field, as well as from educator specialists who have developed a continuum of ways that you can be involved. This webinar is open to teachers, students, families, and others who might be interested in finding out more about the many ways this campaign might be implemented in classrooms around the world.
This webinar will:
- provide an introduction to the Mission Mosquito field measurement campaign GLOBE website (pages);
- provide a demonstration of how to “join” the campaign and how to sign up for the newsletter and upcoming webinars;
- explain why are mosquitoes are the world’s most dangerous animal;
- explain why NASA interested in mosquitos and who uses this data and how;
- provide examples of the research being conducted by scientists in the field who need this data;
- show how students use the data for IVSS and science fairs; and
- provide an introduction the Mosquito Habitat Mapper, both the lite version (without magnifier) and the full version (with a magnifier).
To learn more and to register for this webinar, click here.
To learn more about the monthly webinars, click here.
News origin: GLOBE Implementation Office