Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The GLOBE DEI Working Group seeks to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion within GLOBE, advancing our mission and forwarding our vision towards full participation in GLOBE for the broadest possible spectrum of the human community without obstruction.
Jump to a section
"A just and inclusive pursuit of global education and scientific inquiry. Diversity and inclusion are recognized as being essential for the success of the program, its members, and the global Earth and sciences. GLOBE is a program for people from all backgrounds and identities and we integrate diverse perspectives through inclusive and equitable practices in our community. It is important that we recognize ongoing disparities for many communities in this world, as well as the limitations of our framework to address them. We strive to create a welcoming place for all to participate in the research and education of The GLOBE Program."
"To empower a diverse community of learners around the world and promote scientific inquiry, literacy, and action with cultural awareness. We will strive to understand and appreciate the interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment and promote accountability based on our core values. GLOBE will foster collaborations among individuals and institutions to build and sustain a diverse, just, equitable, and inclusive program."
Who We Are
Find the currently active DEI Working Group members and their contact information below:
What We Stand For
Diversity: The collective mixture of visible and invisible differences and similarities that enhance the societal relevance and impact of GLOBE and includes the full spectrum of personal attributes, cultural affiliations, and socioeconomic (or professional) statuses that characterize individuals within society. To achieve diversity, understanding, respect, and appreciation of the interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment is required.
Equity: The fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all people, with just inclusion in which all can participate, prosper, benefit, and reach their full potential. This means striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups.
Inclusion: Ensuring respect for the individual identities and contributions of participants engaged in executing GLOBE’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities and ensuring that GLOBE is a safe, welcoming, and supportive environment for all. This involves cultivating a culture of respect, involvement, and empowerment, and promoting and sustaining a sense of belonging.
Annual Meeting & Resources
For an overview of our current initiatives and goals, check out our presentation below from this year's GLOBE Annual Review:
Explore the various DEI resources and annual initiatives below:
- The DEI Assessment Report
- About the DEI Assessment Survey
- Glossary of DEI Terms
- Digital Accessibility
- Link to Rosalba Noemi Giarratano’s DEI Blog
- Celebrate National American Sign Language (ASL) Day with GLOBE!
- How to develop a good research question (Dual Language – English/ASL)
- How to create an effective scientific poster (Dual Language – English/Spanish)
- Presentations with Accessibility in Mind
- Diversity Equity and Inclusion Webinar: Pride Month
- Nikitah Imani’s BHM Talk
- Juan Felipe Restrepo Mesa’s “How to Conduct a Literature Review” Bi-lingual Webinar for IVSS 2022
To keep up with the latest updates from the DEI working group, make sure to subscribe to the DEI Blog!
Latest Blog Posts
- Student Intern Uses Technology and Creativity to Show How Blind and Sighted Students Can Study Clouds Together
- A Retired Professional Leading the Way Towards “Match to a Million”
- How a literature review helps us do research!
- GLOBE Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Assessment
- Celebrating with GLOBE Observer Tactile Activity