2018 IVSS Instructions
2018 GLOBE International Virtual Science Symposium - Instructions
How and What to Submit:
Each student project should include the following components and should be submitted via the Virtual Science Symposium Report Tool. Make sure to have all the items prepared when accessing the tool.
- Abstract or Summary: A 200 word or less description of the research project.
- Research Report: The complete research report as .PDF or .DOCX/.DOC. If including more than one language, make sure the report is just one file. Elements of the Research Report are described in the rubrics.
- Badge Description: For any of the optional badges (you may select up to three), include a short summary of how each badge has been completed.
- Presentation: Either the link to an uploaded video hosted on an online video sharing site (YouTube, Vimeo, TeacherTube, etc) or the presentation poster. Please do not upload the actual video, just the video link! Whether presented as a video, a narrated PowerPoint, or as a poster, the presentation should describe the student research. Videos should be 10 minutes or less.
- Thumbnail Image: An image to be displayed with the student report.
- Photo Release Forms: All individuals who appear in photos or video must send in a photo release. Save all the photo releases into one file.
- Optional: GLOBE Learning Expedition (GLE) Theme: For students planning on attending the GLE in Killarney, Ireland, select which theme is the closest fit for your research project.
- Environmental Problems and Solutions
- Developing a Sense of Place: Connections between Observations and Measurements across
- New Technologies and GLOBE
Information about scoring is provided on the Rubrics page. All projects will be scored by a team of judges from the GLOBE International STEM Professionals Network.
Every student project will receive a virtual Student Research Badge. Scored projects will receive between one and four stars on the Student Research Badge, with a 4-star research badge representing superior projects. Additionally, students have the option to complete up to three additional badges including collaboration, community impact, connection to a STEM professional, engineering solution, exploring STEM careers, and interscholastic connection.
Please note that if students choose to submit a report in a language that is not English, it will be shared with the community via the Virtual Science Symposium webpages, but it will not be scored. Only reports in English will be scored by the team of judges. However, students are encouraged to submit their reports in English and their first language (as one document).
All students who submit a project will receive a virtual Student Research Badge and up to three additional badges (out of six choices total). These badges can be displayed on GLOBE School Profile Pages, shared via Social Media, or printed out and shared with the students.
Students who earn a 4-star Student Research Badge AND at least two additional badges (from the optional six badges) will be eligible for a chance in the drawing. The student projects selected in the drawing, which will be announced on 06 April 2018, will be eligible for funds to help offset the costs of attending the 2018 GLOBE Learning Expedition in Killarney, Ireland.
Awards will be will be presented, by drawing, from among all eligible projects entered in the 2018 GLOBE International Virtual Science Fair. The monetary value of the awards is as follows:
- $2,000 for international projects ($2,000 per project awarded to 2 projects)
- $2,000 for US projects ($2,000 per project awarded to 2 projects)
To summarize, in order to be eligible for the drawing, students must earn a 4-star research badge and at least two additional badges.
IVSS 2018 Uploading Instructions
Student reports are accepted from January 2018 until 01 March 2018. Click on the "Upload Your Research Report" button above to add your report. Make sure to select "International Virtual Science Symposium" as the type of report and to select up to three optional badges. Also, if you plan to participate in the 2018 GLOBE Learning Expedition (GLE) in Killarney, Ireland, please indicate which theme best fits your project.
2018 IVSS Timeline
- Informational Webinar - 25 October 2017
- Reports accepted for submission - 01 January 2018 to 01 March 2018
- Reports and presentations due - 01 March 2018
- Judging webinar - 16 March 2018
- Judging period - 18-24 March 2018
- Feedback and virtual badges released - 06 April 2018
- Live drawing for stipends - 06 April 2018