2019 GLOBE IVSS - Instructions
How and What to Submit:
Each student project should include the following components and should be submitted via the Virtual Science Symposium Report Tool. Make sure to have all the items prepared when accessing the tool.
- Abstract or Summary: A 200 word or less description of the research project.
- Research Report: The complete research report as .PDF or .DOCX/.DOC. If including more than one language, make sure the report is just one file. Elements of the Research Report are described in the rubrics.
- Badge Description: For any of the optional badges (you may select up to three), include a short summary of how each badge has been completed.
- Presentation: Either the link to an uploaded video hosted on an online video sharing site (YouTube, Vimeo, TeacherTube, etc) or the presentation poster. Please do not upload the actual video, just the video link! Whether presented as a video, a narrated PowerPoint, or as a poster, the presentation should describe the student research. Videos should be 10 minutes or less.
- Thumbnail Image: An image to be displayed with the student report.
- Photo Release Forms: All individuals who appear in photos or video must send in a photo release. Save all the photo releases into one file.
Reports are due 10 April 2019. Project submitted after this date will not be scored.
Student reports are accepted from now until 10 April 2019. In order to enter your project, click on the blue "Upload Your Research Report" button below. Make sure to select "International Virtual Science Symposium Report" under Type of Student Research Report. Also, you may select up to three optional badges, which need to be described in your report. If you have questions or need assistance, send us an email at email@example.com.
Projects submitted after 10 April 2019 will not be scored.
Information about scoring is provided on the Rubrics page. All projects will be scored by a team of judges from the GLOBE International STEM Professionals Network.
Every student project will receive a virtual Student Research Badge. Scored projects will receive between one and four stars on the Student Research Badge, with a 4-star research badge representing superior projects. Additionally, students have the option to complete up to three additional badges. The badge options are: Be a Collaborator, Be a Data Scientist, Be an Engineer, Make an Impact, Be a STEM Professional, Be a STEM Storyteller.
Please note that if students choose to submit a report in a language that is not English, it will be shared with the community via the Virtual Science Symposium webpages, but it will not be scored. Only reports in English will be scored by the team of judges. However, students are encouraged to submit their reports in English and their first language (as one document).
All students who submit a project will receive a virtual Student Research Badge and up to three additional badges (out of six choices total). These badges can be displayed on GLOBE School Profile Pages, shared via Social Media, or printed out and shared with the students.
Students who earn a 4-star Student Research Badge AND at least two additional badges (from the optional six badges) will be eligible for a chance in the drawing. The student projects selected in the drawing, which will be announced on 17 May 2019, will be eligible for funds to help offset the costs of attending the 2019 GLOBE Annual Meeting in Detroit, Michigan, USA.
Awards will be will be presented, by drawing, from among all eligible projects entered in the 2019 GLOBE International Virtual Science Fair. There will be drawing for seven awards.
- Two $1000 stipends for schools from the US
- Five $2000 stipends for schools from each of the other GLOBE regions (one per region)
To summarize, in order to be eligible for the drawing, students must earn a 4-star research badge and at least two additional badges.
- Informational Webinar - 25 October 2018
- Reports accepted - 01 January 2019 to 10 April 2019
- Due date for all student reports - 10 April 2019
- Judging Webinar - 25 April 2019 (More information will be sent to judges in 2019)
- Judging Period - 26 April - 05 May 2019
- Feedback and Virtual Badges Shared - 17 May 2019
- Drawing for stipends - 17 May 2019