Traducir al Español
Below you can find resources for students, teachers and judges in relation to the IVSS report writing and scoring process. If you need any additional resources, please contact our support team at email@example.com.
Previous Virtual Symposia
December 2020: New blog: Have you ever wondered what happens after you press submit on your International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS) report? When IVSS reports come in, the GIO Education team gets hard at work. Read What Happens After You Submit an IVSS Report: The GIO Process to get a peek “behind the curtains” of the IVSS!
Creating a Research Project
- Steps in the Scientific Process
- Sample Research Report
- Worksheet to Evaluate Possible Research Questions
- How to Create a Student Research Report | en Español
- Purdue Online Writing Lab Research and Citation Resources
- The Simple Guide to Storytelling by All Good Tales: From the GLE Student Journal
- Clouds Student Project Support
- Mission Mosquito IVSS Investigation Ideas Resource Guide
- Protocol Bundles: ENSO, Mosquitoes, Ocean, Rivers and Lakes, Soil, Urban Environments, Water Cycle, Water Quality, and Weather.
- Research Report Templates by Level:
Tips and Tools for Preparing a Presentation:
- Ten Secrets to Giving a Good Scientific Talk
- Classic Poster Template PowerPoint | PDF (note: this includes the middle school and high school/undergraduate elements, modify as needed for primary school)
- Creative Poster Examples: There's a current push in the scientific community to explore presenting research in a more creative way. Try something new or using these examples to help your creative ideas flow!
References and Support for the use of Creative, Visual Presentation Tools:
- "Sixty-five percent of learners are visual learners." - MindTools, 1998
- "The brain processes visual information 60,000 faster than text." - 3M Corporation, 2001
- Persuasion and the Role of the Visual Presenter, 2005
- Setting Up Your Data Site
- Entering Measurement Data
- Retrieve and Visualize Your Data
- Advanced Data Access Tool
- Additional resources can be found on the US Student Research Symposia website here.
Informational Webinar: https://youtu.be/g7w8aWuCEro
Data Science Intro: https://youtu.be/vTAofWIUiaU
Mapping your GLOBE Data with ArcGIS: https://youtu.be/yuwcOD5_Vdg
“How to create an effective scientific poster” (Dual Language - English/Spanish) with Alejandro Mundo: https://youtu.be/o5XLmlFBOlI
“How to develop a good research question” (Dual Language - English/ASL) with Jillian Anderson and Wade Phillips: https://youtu.be/w_YPgb-cT1M
- 2019 Informational Webinar
- K-4 (Lower Primary) Research Projects
- Teacher Webinar: Conducting Field Investigations
- Teacher Webinar: Writing Research Questions
- Teacher Webinar: Analyzing GLOBE Data
- Teacher Webinar: Writing Conclusions using the CER Framework
- Putting It All Together - the Science Fair Poster (Communication)
Articles - STEM Teaching Tools
- Multiple Instructional Models that work with NGSS
- Formative Assessments that fit 3-Dimensional Science Learning
- The Importance of Cascading Practices in Science Experimentation, and How to Implement
- Promoting Equity in the Science Education Classroom
- How to Launch STEM Investigations that Build on Student and Community Interests and Expertise
- Learning STEM Through Design: Students Benefit from Expanding What Counts as "Engineering"