GLOBE Teachers: Check Out Peace Corps and STEM – Events, Activities, and Resources!
GLOBE Teachers (K-12), need assistance and support with STEM-related lesson plants, activities, and general information? Committed to creating opportunities in STEM education and careers, The Paul D. Coverdell World Wise Schools program and educators are finding ways to focus on this transformation in the 21st century. For a current listing of events, activities, and resources to engage your learners, click here.
- Connect with RPCV Astronaut in Space: On 07 February (9 to 11:00 a.m. ET), Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) and NASA Astronaut Joe Acaba will link directly with Peace Corps from the International Space Station and answer questions from around the world about STEM and life in space. The conversation will be broadcast live on NASA TV. (To learn more, and to register for this event, click here.)
- STEM Opportunities for Learners: View updated materials to share with your learners! NASA hosts online resources for learners to engage in STEM education, for both formal and non-formal education. Have your students find a project or activity to increase their interest in STEM education. (To learn more, click here.)
- Get Social: There are many ways through social platforms to promote STEM education. In the 21st century, it is important for educators to use all tools to reach their learners, and these are a few ways to gain interest through these platforms. Snap photos of your students sharing what STEM education has taught them. Tag @PCThirdGoal on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and use the hashtags #PeaceCorpsSTEM and #HowISeeSTEM.
- Connect Your Classroom with Peace Corps Volunteers: The Global Connections program allows your learners to interact with Volunteers and their host countries and cultures, including STEM education. Volunteer stories, projects, and experiences can provide U.S. students with unusually candid firsthand perspectives of cultures worldwide, views not usually accessible through textbooks, films, and other familiar media.
- Additional Resources: Visit the NASA Education website for other resources, educational downlinks, and programs to join in furthering STEM education. (See more lesson plans focused on STEM.)
Did you know that The GLOBE Program and Peace Corps share a common commitment to the environment, education, youth development and empowerment, capacity building, and cultural understanding? Since 1995, GLOBE and Peace Corps have informally collaborated on activities in countries in Africa, Asia and Pacific, Europe and Eurasia, Latin America and Caribbean, and the Near East.
To learn more about this collaboration, click here.
News origin: GLOBE Implementation Office