The 15th GLOBE Annual Partner Meeting
15th GLOBE Annual Partner Meeting, 17-22 July 2011
The 15th GLOBE Annual Meeting was held on the outskirts of Washington D.C., in Bethesda, Maryland, on 17 – 22 July 2011. The theme of this year's meeting was "Expanding International Perspectives About Climate." More than 180 participants from 46 countries (including representatives from 26 U.S. states and the District of Columbia) took part in the welcoming events, informative presentations, networking sessions, poster presentations and field studies over the course of the 5-day event. Members of the GLOBE community presented posters and many exhibited materials highlighting their local GLOBE activities. These presentations, posters and activities helped to inform the community of successful GLOBE implementation around the world.
Highlights of the week in Washington included:
- A Welcome Reception for all guests, opening remarks by GLOBE Program Director Dr. Andy Tasker and Meeting Co-chairpersons Dr. Donna Charlevoix and Dr. Teresa Kennedy of the GLOBE Program Office
- The keynote address by NASA Chief Scientist Dr. Waleed Abdulati
- Reports from the regions by the members of the GLOBE International Advisory Committee (GIAC)
- Working sessions that encouraged participant suggestions for improving GLOBE science, education, partnerships, communications and technology
- An update on the Student Climate Research Campaign
- Ms. Mary Glackin, of NOAA, introduced, by live video broadcast, students of the Ocean for Life Project in California
- Midweek, participants had the opportunity to visit their embassies and elected officials on Capitol Hill to ensure their awareness and support of the GLOBE Program
- The following day participants braved 40 degree C /103 degree F heat to engage in field studies at Patuxent Nature Reserve and the Goddard Space Flight Center. Their reward was a wonderful fun-filled evening banquet that was attended by participants, sponsors and many distinguished guests from various agencies and embassies
- The final day included updates and community workshops on the ESSPs, a working session on evaluations, a presentation on food, and finally a summing up of the week's events and Next Steps by Dr. Andy Tasker
Hosted by the GLOBE Program Office, the meeting provided opportunities for all participants to work toward nurturing and strengthening GLOBE around the world. We would like to thank all partners, sponsors, participants, and behind-the-scenes support staff at the GLOBE Program Office for making the meeting a huge success.
To those of you who were not able to join us in Washington, we hope you were following us on Facebook and Twitter, for photos and lively daily updates of activities.
The photos are now posted on the GLOBE Flickr Site. View as a slide show by clicking slideshow in the upper right hand corner. Another way to find them, is by going to the GLOBE website home page at www.globe.gov and clicking the small flikr icon (two dots) on the bottom right corner. Enjoy!