Events - United States of America
Teacher P.D. Webinar: Writing Conclusions using the CER Framework
Location: Webinar 1pm MST/3pm EST
The "Writing Conclusions Using the CER Framework" webinar is a virtual teacher professional development webinar leading up to the GLOBE Science Fairs. Once students analyze their data, it is time for them to use those data to write an experimental conclusion. While this can be a daunting task, many teachers have found the Claims-Evidence-Reasoning (CER) Framework can help students write a succinct, clear, and accurate conclusion to their investigation. In this Framework, students answer their investigational question (claim), support their answer with data from their investigations (evidence), and utilize key science ideas to explain the link between the evidence and claim (reasoning). This webinar will focus on strategies for using the CER Framework with middle and high school students as they write conclusions, and on additional applications of this Framework as students discuss and critique each other’s conclusions.
The presenter, Rebecca Katsh-Singer, is a Ph.D. candidate in Curriculum and Instruction at Boston College. Her research focuses on the practices of science and how to support teachers and instructional leaders in their work bringing practice-based instruction into k-12 classrooms. Prior to beginning her doctoral studies, Rebecca taught middle school science for 10 years and served as an instructional coach for middle and high school science teachers. Rebecca has also consulted for local schools and districts as well as research organizations about science instruction and curriculum development.
Webinar Links and Resources:
- Rebecca Katsh-Singer's Webinar Powerpoint (PDF)
GLOBE Links and Resources:
- Steps in the Scientific Process: http://www.globe.gov/do-globe/for-students/be-a-scientist/steps-in-the-scientific-process.
- Document Conclusions: http://www.globe.gov/do-globe/for-students/be-a-scientist/steps-in-the-scientific-process/document-conclusions
- Student Climate Research Campaign webinars: http://www.globe.gov/web/scrc/overview/webinars
- 2 April 2013 SCRC Webinar: Scientist Skills: Presenting Your Results: https://youtu.be/iJ_41xYEe8E
- GLOBE Student Research Report Format: http://www.globe.gov/do-globe/for-students/be-a-scientist/research-report-format
- Webinar on the Rubrics and Resources available for the International Virtual Science Fair (and the U.S. one) https://cc.readytalk.com/play?id=4s06hf
- International Virtual Science Fair 2016 Rubrics
Events origin: United States of America