Science Practices: Analyzing Data
This webinar on Analyzing GLOBE Data was hosted by Richard Wagner, Metro State University. Wagner discusses data visualizations and shares student examples from the SRS and IVSS.
This webinar features two presenters and topics. In the first half, Roller from the Community Support Team, demonstrates how to access GLOBE data using the new data access tool. He highlights downloading GLOBE data as various file types for use in spreadsheet and visualization software. During the second half, Jackie Wilson from the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation describes the basic types of graphs, good graphing basics, using the research question as your guide in deciding what graph to make and building these visualization skills in students.
- Rich Wagner's webinar slides (PDF).
- Hubbard Brook Research Foundation
- Harvard Forest Graphing and Data Analysis Resources
- Harvard Forest Schoolyard LTER Program
- Harvard Forest "Show Me a Picture, Tell Me a Story"
- Graph Choice Chart and Graphing Activities (Arcadia Learning for Participatory Science)
- History of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide
- Middle School Science Podcast - Best Graph to Use
- Graph Type Matrix
GLOBE Links and Resources:
- Steps in the Scientific Process
- GLOBE's Analyze Data resource
- How to Enter Data on the GLOBE Website - Webinar with GLOBE Web Manager Cornell Lewis
- 25 June 2013 SCRC Webinar: GLOBE Data in Action: Examples from North America
- Retrieve and Visualize Your Data Webinar
- Visualize GLOBE Data (link and tutorials)
- GLOBE Data Tutorials
- Data Access Tool
- Visualization Color Picker - choose colors to display your data based on perception research
- Color Brewer Tool- This neat tool helps you find the best color scheme for displaying maps.
- U.S. GLOBE SRS Review Feedback Forms