GLOBE Impact and Metrics
GLOBE Impact and Metrics
The data on this page offers a closer look at GLOBE members’ impact and activities, including how many schools and students are participating in GLOBE and how many projects they have completed.
Since the start of the program, tens of thousands of teachers from more than 125 countries have been trained in GLOBE's protocols. These teachers have guided over 800,000 GLOBE students through the scientific process, resulting in more than 230 million data measurements submitted to GLOBE's databases.
In addition to the data in the table below, GLOBE also has historic impact measurements from 2003 to 2013. These archival measurements represent GLOBE statistics prior to the use of the current database.
Note: The data below are updated monthly.
Data Table Definitions
These column values equal the total number of users who are in or under the organization shown on the far-left column. This total does not count users whose accounts have been deactivated.
- Schools: The number of organizations that currently has (or has had in the past) at least one GLOBE Educator.
- Educators: Number of users in the GLOBE system with a verified GLOBE account and are identified as a "Teacher/Formal Educator" or “Informal Educator.”
- Students: By default, all "Teacher/Formal Educators" are associated with 25 “Students” per school. All educators are encouraged to update this default value.
- GLOBE Observers: Number of users who created an account using the GLOBE Observer app or the GLOBE Observer account request form and have verified their email address.
These column values equal the total amount of data entered into organizations associated with schools (Data Entered) or citizen science organizations (Citizen Science Organization Data Entered).
- Data Entered: Total amount of data measurements entered through a school or virtual school organizations. A virtual school is created for all GLOBE Teachers who are not primarily working in a school building.
- Citizen Science Organization Data Entered: Total amount of data measurements entered by users who are members of GLOBE's citizen science organizations.
- Total Data Entered: Sum of "Data Entered" and "Citizen Science Organization Data Entered."
These column values equal the total number of awards, stars and projects associated with organizations and users that are in or under the organization shown in the far-left column. This count does not include organizations that have been deactivated.
- Honor Roll: Number of Honor Roll recognition awards that have been granted. Recognition is given on a quarterly basis and awards are given to schools that achieve specified levels of data entry across various protocols and combinations of protocols.
- Stars: Number of GLOBE Stars. Stars highlight extraordinary examples of organizations’ projects, events and activities that align with GLOBE and its mission.
- Student Projects: Number of Student Research Reports. This includes all uploaded student research reports, including International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS) reports, Student Research Symposium (SRS) reports and other student research reports.
- Training: Number of users who are identified as "Trainers." These users have completed the GLOBE Trainer Certification and have been approved as "Trainers" by The GLOBE Program.
- Mentor Trainers: Number of users who are identified as "Mentor Trainers." These users have completed the GLOBE Mentor Certification and have been approved as "Mentor Trainers" by The GLOBE Program.
- Master Trainers (Archived): Number of users who are identified as "Master Trainers (Archived).” This designation was originally created for people who trained candidate Trainers. It was replaced by the Mentor Trainer designation.
- Workshops: Number of completed protocol training workshops.
- People Trained: Number of users who are identified as "Trained." These users have completed an in-person GLOBE workshop or eTraining and have been approved.