Get Started Overview
Get Started Overview
GLOBE wouldn't be where it is today without the support of our many partners and contributors. We rely on people with many different backgrounds to help grow our collective understanding of an everchanging world. Whether you're an educator, student, science professional, or an interested individual eager to learn about Earth system science, GLOBE has a place for you.
From research missions to educational campaigns, GLOBE community members and participants are laying the groundwork for globally collaborative research. To join our growing network, you can sign up as a member, complete your GLOBE science protocol training, utilize our research data, or contribute via the GLOBE Program's app, GLOBE Observer.
Learn more about our training and membership opportunities by choosing the category that best describes you:
- Teachers & Educators
- GLOBE Observers
- STEM Professionals
- U.S. Partners & Country Coordinators
- GLOBE Alumni
Teachers & Educators
Teachers and educators are at the heart of the GLOBE mission. That's why we've created a wealth of educational resources focused on K-12 students, including Earth science storybooks, lesson plans, and activities to suit kids of all ages. Furthermore, GLOBE teachers report positive changes towards science engagement from their students after utilizing our educational protocols and standards.
You can start your GLOBE journey today by creating a teacher account.
Our worldwide measurement campaigns are the vital pillars of our community. To contribute to GLOBE's databases, you must attend either an in-person training or complete our Protocol eTraining modules.
Help your students showcase their hard work and research at one of our symposia. During their projects, they'll learn crucial scientific skills and interact with their peers and STEM professionals. Learn more about:
GLOBE Observers (Citizen Scientists)
You don't have to be a professional scientist to conduct valuable research. Contribute meaningful data, learn about our changing world, and join an international network of citizen scientists and researchers working together to solve Earth's biggest natural mysteries.
To get started on your GLOBE journey:
GISN & STEM Professionals
No matter the stage of your scientific career, GLOBE has a treasure trove of Earth science data just waiting to be analyzed. Whether you're in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM), our publicly-sourced Earth Science database is available for your next research project.
To see where GLOBE data can take you, check out the academic publications inspired by our protocols.
Connecting STEM professionals with students is an important part of ushering in the next generation of researchers. That's why we've created the GLOBE International STEM Network (GISN), a community focused on building working relationships between the scientists of today and those of tomorrow.
To join the GISN and start your next big collaboration, you must first sign up for a GLOBE Observer account.
U.S. Partners and Country Coordinators
Want to bring GLOBE to your community? Our U.S. partners and country coordinators have helped us expand GLOBE to over 120 countries by:
- Recruiting schools into the GLOBE Program
- Securing funding for GLOBE activities
- Participating in our events
- Tracking student research efforts
- Offering training opportunities for educators and citizen scientists
- Creating opportunities for students and citizens to actively participate in Earth science research
Note: Our partners are typically long-term members of GLOBE with experience implementing our curriculum in schools and organizations.
Become a GLOBE Country/Country Coordinator
Before your country's citizens can contribute to GLOBE's Earth science database, your country itself must sign a bilateral agreement with the U.S. government. Then, country coordinators are nominated by their governments to start implementing GLOBE protocols in their communities.
If you live in a GLOBE country and are interested in becoming a country coordinator, contact our Community Support Team.
Become a GLOBE U.S. Partner
Our partners are instrumental in incorporating GLOBE educational protocols into U.S. communities. We work with various parties whose priorities align with our own, including:
- Academic organizations
- Nonprofit organizations (NPO)
- Governmental organizations
- Business/Private organizations
To discover what kinds of organizations we typically partner with, check out our current GLOBE U.S. partners.
Note: To become a U.S. partner, you must lead a sustainable implementation of GLOBE in your community and maintain a formal affiliation with either:
- An institution of higher education
- A school district
- A State Department of Education
- A recognized informal education organization (501c3), like a STEM learning center, museum, or foundation
GLOBE Alumni are the link between current GLOBE students and life post-graduation. Alumni work directly with a number of GLOBE affiliates from country coordinators and scientists, to teachers and students. Through their support, they provide the program with invaluable knowledge on what areas to focus our attention and where GLOBE can be further enhanced. Alumni can also continue to add to our databases via the GLOBE Observer app.
To join the growing community of GLOBE graduates, register as an Alumnus today.
Student Accounts are limited-access GLOBE accounts teachers can set up for their students. This allows teachers to create a space for students to enter their GLOBE data, interact with the GLOBE Observer app, and navigate the GLOBE website.
Student Accounts work with both the GLOBE Data Entry and GLOBE Observer apps. When measurements are entered into either app with the same account, it will enter our databases and be associated with your teacher account and school. Teachers can also change the password, edit, or delete a student account at any time.
To modify your Student Account:
- At the top of any page, on the right, select your account circle.
- Click My Page.
- Under your bio, click View Student Accounts.
- Select the account you want to manage.
- Make the desired changes.
- Click Save.
- Student Accounts can only be created by a GLOBE-trained teacher.
- Account creation is limited to 50 student accounts per teacher per school.
- Students can not send or receive email from this account.
- By default, all student accounts have their teacher added as a friend.
- Students can upload images to the school's image gallery, but they can not change any information on the school's page.
- Students can login to GLOBE, post to forums, add other GLOBE members as friends, or comment on blogs with this account.
- Student name's should not be used in the account name.
- Rather than setup one account per student, it may be preferable to setup one account per class period. For example, "biology_period1."
- Keep in mind that anyone with this account can delete or edit your measurement data. To protect your data, change your passwords regularly to insure only authorized users can use the account.
For additional Student Account support, contact the GLOBE Help Desk.
Opt-In to GLOBE Communications
To stay in touch with GLOBE and receive the most up-to-date news, you can opt-in to our communication network. When you join our mailing list, you'll receive content like:
- The GLOBE News Brief
- Letters to the community
- Updates on upcoming GLOBE events
- Other messages from the GLOBE Communications Team
Tip: GLOBE will never disclose or sell your personal information to outside parties. You can also opt-out of GLOBE communications at any time.