The next Phase III GLOBE ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) Student Research Campaign SODA (Short Observation and Data Analysis) webinar will be held on 04 December at 2:00 p.m. EST (7:00 p.m. UTC): “SODA, Live from Croatia (Featuring Teachers Marina Balažinec and Marija Krajnik and their student stars).” To join the webinar, click here!
How SODA webinars work:
- Introduction of featured teacher, students, and school (2 minutes)
- Presentation by featured teacher and/or students (20-25 minutes)
- Chosen Phase III Guiding Investigative Question(s)
- How the question was explored (dates of data collection)
- Ideas for potential collaboration
- Collaboration and discussion time (30 minutes)
How do you participate in a SODA event?
- Identify the Guiding Investigative Question(s) to explore.
- Conduct protocol measurements using as many of the GLOBE protocols as desired.
- Take protocols measurements at least 3 times per week for one month.
- Report on the data collected at a GLOBE Water in Our Environment SODA webinar*.
- Submit a blog, to the GLOBE web site, highlighting your student research.
- Begin collaborating with other GLOBE schools.
Guiding Investigative Questions
For Phase III, the focus is on Earth’s water, with three simple guiding investigative questions:
- What is the quality of the water in our environment?
- What impact does water, both above and below ground, have on our environment?
- How does water in our environment impact living organisms?
During Phase III, you can be as involved as you like. There are no commitment requirements, although we do hope to “see you” at a webinar to two – and would love for you and your students to share what you are doing! There will be two types of webinars:
- Monthly Science and Research Webinars – These webinars will focus on our guiding questions as we learn about research currently being conducted by scientists at NASA and around the world. We will also explore a variety of both GLOBE and non-GLOBE resources that can be used to enhance students' understanding of the science behind the guiding questions.
- SODA Webinars – These webinars will focus on the data collected during the SODA protocol measurement period. Several schools (teachers and students) will present their data collection and what the data has told them about “Water in Our Environment.”
To learn more about Phase III of the ENSO Student Research Campaign, click here! To receive emails and to sign up for the webinars, click here! Then you will be on your way to connecting with NASA, scientists, and teachers around the world!