The albedo of a baseball field

Student(s):D'Mone Adams
Grade Level:Secondary School (grades 9-12, ages 14-18)
GLOBE Teacher(s):$user.getFullName() (inactive)
Contributors:
Report Type(s):Standard Research Report
Protocols:Surface Temperature
Language(s):
Date Submitted:05/06/2013
Screen capture from presentation

Note: This project does not have an attached document, just a video.

Comments

Please log-in to post comments

Dear D'Mone,
I really liked the idea of your project. I am working between Germany and France, and there aren't many baseball fields here!
From the graph you show in the video, I see that in day 2 all albedo measurements were much lower than in day 1 and day 3. Do you have any idea to explain why? was the weather the same in all 4 days?
If I had to cover a baseball field, which color would you suggest?
Thank you for your replies!
Inès

Posted on 5/9/13 7:08 PM.

Student of Steven Frantz
You can use white tarp for the in field to keep the grass moist and grayish tarp for the out field to keep the grass healthy.

Posted on 5/10/13 3:04 PM in reply to Ines Borrione.

Dear D'Mone,
thank you for your reply!!
I was also wondering if you had an idea on why albedo measurements during day 2 were much lower than in day 1 and 3. Was the weather the same in all 4 days you did the measurements?

Best wishes,
Inès

Posted on 5/12/13 9:07 PM in reply to Student of Steven Frantz.

Student of Steven Frantz
The temperature that day was colder than day 1 and 2 and the weather wasn't the same for all for 4 days.

Posted on 5/16/13 2:42 PM in reply to Ines Borrione.

What the most surprising thing you learned through your research?

If you had another year to do this project, what would you add to it and why?

Posted on 5/14/13 8:13 PM.

Student of Steven Frantz
That white and grayish tarp is best for the baseball field and if I did do this project again I will ask more people that know more about baseball fields.

Posted on 5/16/13 2:52 PM in reply to Jessica Mackaro.

What would you ask them?

Posted on 5/17/13 7:32 PM in reply to Student of Steven Frantz.

Student of Steven Frantz
I will ask them do they use different tarps for different seasons

Posted on 5/23/13 2:40 PM in reply to Jessica Mackaro.