January 2018 GLOBE News Brief
GLOBE Students! Will you Attend the 2018 GLE in Ireland? Be a Keynote Speaker!
GLOBE students! Will you be attending the 2018 GLOBE Learning Expedition (GLE) and the 22nd Annual Meeting in Killarney, Ireland? Want to share your experiences as a GLOBE student? Then apply today to be considered for the honor of representing your region at the 2018 GLE! One student (registered for the GLE) from each GLOBE region will be selected to present a keynote address (5-10 minutes). (The videos of the selected speakers will be hosted on the GLOBE YouTube channel and will be shown live for GLOBE's Earth Day celebration in 2018.)
The deadline for applications is 15 March 2018.
To learn more about becoming a keynote speaker, the GLE registration process, costs, and accommodation information, please visit the GLE information page.
We look forward to seeing you in Ireland!
The GLOBE Annual Meeting in Killarney, Ireland: Call for Presentations
Presentation applications are now being accepted for the 2018 GLOBE Annual Meeting, which will be taking place on 01 July 2018 in Killarney, Ireland. All presentations at the Annual Meeting will be oral presentations (no posters this year!).
- Presentation applications due: 01 March 2018 (Note: No late applications for presentations will be accepted.)
- Presentation acceptance notification: 15 March 2018
- Presenter confirmation of time and attendance at the Annual Meeting: 01 April 2018
Theme: (Presentations should align with the GLOBE Strategic Plan and the meeting themes.)
GIO Issues Invitation to submit a Global 2018-2019 GLOBE Field Campaign: Submissions Must be Received by 28 February 2018
From now through 28 February 2018, the GLOBE Implementation Office (GIO) will be accepting proposals for Global Field Campaigns (starting between August 2018 and December 2019). GIO hopes to announce the new Global Field Campaigns at the GLOBE Learning Expedition (GLE) in Ireland in July 2018.
GLOBE's Global Field Campaigns provide students with hands-on opportunities to explore and learn about Earth through a network of students, teachers, and scientists - projects designed to promote collaboration and to increase Earth science awareness.
To submit a proposal, please click here and fill out the Global Field Campaign Proposal Form. (As necessary, please refer to the GLOBE Events-to-Campaigns planning document and checklist, available here.) If you have any questions or need additional information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 GLOBE IVSS Updates
Are you preparing for the 2018 GLOBE International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS)? Here are some important dates to keep in mind:
- Reports accepted for submission: 01 January 2018 to 01 March 2018
- Reports and presentations due: 01 March 2018
- Judging webinar: (TBD)
- Judging period: 18-24 March 2018
- Feedback and virtual badges released: 06 April 2018
- Live drawing for stipends: 06 April 2018
Have a question for a scientist or another STEM professional? Visit the Student Groups Looking for Mentors page and fill out the form.
Need a mentoring scientist? Scientists have volunteered to help - click here.
Want to share information about the 2018 IVSS? Click here and share downloadable images.
New information about the 2018 IVSS is being added to the GLOBE website on a regular basis, so be sure to keep checking back.
Miss an ENSO Phase III Science and Research or SODA Webinar?
Recorded Versions Are Available
Have you missed a Phase III GLOBE ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) Student Research Campaign Science and Research webinar or a Short Observation and Data Analysis (SODA) webinar? They are all being recorded and archived - for you to watch at your convenience. Just click here!
During Phase III of the campaign, there are two types of webinars being offered:
- Monthly Science and Research Webinars - These webinars will focus on our guiding questions as we learn about research currently being conducted by scientists at NASA and around the world. We will also explore a variety of both GLOBE and non-GLOBE resources that can be used to enhance students' understanding of the science behind the guiding questions.
- The SODA Webinars - These webinars will focus on the data collected during the SODA protocol measurement period. Several schools (teachers and students) will present their data collection and what the data has told them about "Water in Our Environment." Each school presenting at a SODA webinar will then collaborate with another school or schools taking some of the same measurements, answering the same questions. Schools can participate in more than one SODA event during the campaign. There is no limit on data collection.
The next Science and Research webinar will be held on 09 January. It will focus on the impact of water in Asia and the Pacific. To find out more, and to get updates on what time the webinar will be held, click here.
GLOBE Students/Alum: Share Your STEM Stories with the GLOBE Community
GLOBE is gathering stories of students, teachers, and alumni who have been influenced by their GLOBE experiences to pursue STEM education. We want to hear from:
Current GLOBE students who intend to pursue further education in STEM;
Former GLOBE students who are currently engaged in higher education in STEM areas or who have gone into STEM careers; and
Teachers who have sought further training in STEM subjects, either through GLOBE training or through other professional development training, in order to enhance their capabilities as teachers or for new careers in STEM.
Opportunities for U.S. Teachers
U.S. opportunities are often highlighted in the News Brief simply because we are more aware of them through our local media; however, if there are opportunities for GLOBE students and/or teachers in your region you would like us to highlight in the coming months, please send the information to email@example.com.
NASA STEM Educator Webinars
Connect With Us
The GLOBE Program depends on you to let us know what is happening in your regions, countries, communities and classrooms. Send us news you would like to share with the GLOBE Community and we'll include it in next month's News Brief. Be sure to include photos, too.
Send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to follow us on social media! Just click on the icons below.
News Brief Archive
All past issues of the GLOBE News Brief are available in the online Archive.