Use. The User is granted the right to use this Site and its Materials for non-commercial, non-profit research, or educational purposes only, without any fee or cost. This includes the rights to access, link to, create derivative works, publish, distribute, disseminate, transfer, modify, copy, edit, and digitize the Materials contained in this Site for non-commercial, non-profit research, or educational purposes only. Use of NASA branded content and media is governed by NASA’s Media Usage Guidelines.
Prohibited Uses. The following categories of use are inappropriate and prohibited:
- Use that is unlawful, harassing or threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, or that would violate any law or the rights of others, including without limitation, copyright laws.
- Use that impedes, interferes with, impairs, damages, or otherwise causes harm to the activities of others, this Site, the Materials, including but not limited to, spamming, attempts to defeat system security, unauthorized access or use, distribution of computer viruses, and modification or removal of data.
- Use that is inconsistent with NASA’s mission and goals.
- Use for the purpose of lobbying that connotes NASA involvement, except for support of the GLOBE program, or if authorized in writing by NASA.
"The source of this material is the GLOBE Web site at www.globe.gov. All Rights Reserved."
The name GLOBE and the GLOBE logo are registered trademarks and service marks. GLOBE Partners and GLOBE schools are granted a limited license for the use of these trademarks as described here. No other use of these trademarks is permitted, especially use in any advertising or endorsement of any products or commercial entity, unless specific written permission is obtained from the GLOBE Program.
Links. This Site contains links to other Web sites that do not belong to GLOBE ("third-party sites"). Any third-party site is outside the domain and not under the control of GLOBE. GLOBE is providing the link only as a convenience. GLOBE is not responsible for the content or use of any third-party site or any linked site contained within the third-party site, or any changes or updates thereto. No sponsorship, approval or endorsement of any product, service or information provided by the third-party site, the content of the site, or the site itself is intended or implied by GLOBE.
Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold NASA harmless from any claims, losses, or damages, including legal fees, resulting from your violation of these Terms or your use of the Site, and to fully cooperate in NASA’s defense against any such claims.
By visiting and using this Site and the Materials, the User agrees to abide by all laws of the United States of America, including any applicable export control laws regarding the use of any or all parts of this Site and the Materials.
- The user provides consent to the processing of his or her personal data for the purpose of logging into the GLOBE system and/or GLOBE Data Entry apps and submitting data to GLOBE. The user must request an account prior to sending measurement data. The personal data requirement exclusively includes a valid email address and country of origin.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of GLOBE science data collection and to reduce the likelihood of unreliable data submissions.
- User information (for example your email address) is protected and cannot be retrieved by the public from the GLOBE database and is not displayed on the GLOBE website.
- GLOBE maintains a helpdesk including a contact number, an email address, and a contact form. Users who wish to have their information deleted, updated, or verified may contact the GLOBE Helpdesk with a request. Users may also log into the GLOBE system and update their information at any time.
For web site security purposes and to ensure that this site remains available to all users, the computer systems used to support this site may employ software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or that otherwise might cause damage. GLOBE maintains all personal data with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards intended to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper use.
General Use Information
The GLOBE web server computer systems automatically collect and store certain information to help make GLOBE’s web site perform better and be more useful to GLOBE teachers, students, and site visitors. GLOBE’s server computer systems automatically collect and store the following information: the Internet domain name from which the user is connected to the Internet; the Internet (IP) address of the user’s computer at that time; the type of Web browser; the address of the web site the user may have linked through to get to the GLOBE site; the Web pages visited, and the date and time of these accesses. The Internet (IP) address is usually assigned by the Internet Service Provider for the duration of each session on the Internet, but it can sometimes identify the computer used to access the Internet. GLOBE does not link this general use information to any personally identifiable information.
Measurement data that is sent to GLOBE includes the location of that measurement. The location information along with measurement data and photos are stored in the GLOBE database, which is openly and freely available to all members of the public. Any scientist/researcher/person utilizing GLOBE data shall credit the GLOBE Program collectively as appropriate.
If you contribute data to GLOBE, including picture uploads, you confirm that you have rights to all submitted images, that no images include identifiable people, children, or anything inappropriate, and that you give NASA and GLOBE permission to post these pictures.
As a user of the GLOBE Data Entry system and/or GLOBE Observer app, you are committing to providing accurate data to be used by scientists, researchers, students and others.
Communication. GLOBE provides multiple opportunities for users to receive various forms of communication from the program. You may choose to opt-in or opt-out to each of these sources of communication. By clicking the "I Agree" button at the bottom of the the Statement you are currently reading you are agreeing to receive the following direct communications:
- GLOBE Newsletters (you can unsubscribe from the Newsletter once you receive the initial or subsequent newsletters by clicking "Click here to unsubscribe" unsubscribe link at the bottom of the Newsletter).
- GLOBE Director letter
- GLOBE Partner letter
- Email communications from the GLOBE Science and Education Team (GLOBE Events and happenings)
- Email communications from the GLOBE Communications Team (high level information that you and the GLOBE community need to be aware of)
Authorized users may join GLOBE Forums, post, and subscribe or unsubscribe to feeds as desired. (Default Opt-Out).
The following settings may be modified under your account settings on the GLOBE website, or the GLOBE Observer app:
- Receive NASA Satellite images which are matched to your cloud observations.
- Receive GLOBE Observer News and Information
- Receive NASA and/or scientist requests for additional information about your observations.
- Receive email about educator resources.
Notification of Copyright Infringement. GLOBE will, in appropriate circumstances, terminate the accounts of users who infringe on the intellectual property rights of others. The content on this Site is provided as part of GLOBE without any warranty or guarantee. If you believe that your work has been used or copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, and such infringement is occurring on this Site, please submit a Copyright Infringement Notification. Subscribers who feel that an infringement notification has been filed in error may submit a Copyright Infringement Counter Notification.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act requires that all notices of alleged copyright infringement be in writing. To act on your notice, you must be authorized to enforce the copyrights that you allege have been infringed. When informing GLOBE of an alleged copyright infringement, you should:
- Identify the copyrighted work that allegedly has been infringed. If multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are involved, please provide a representative list of such works on that site.
- Describe the material that is claimed to be infringing and provide sufficient information to permit location of that material.
- Provide your contact information, including an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address.
- Certify or include a statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the copyright-protected material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, the owner's agent, or law.
- Certify that the information that you have provided is accurate. You should attest under penalty of perjury that you are authorized to enforce the copyrights that you allege have been infringed.
- Include your physical or electronic signature.
GLOBE may not be able to act on your complaint promptly or at all if you do not provide this information. Copyright issues shall be sent to the GLOBE Helpdesk.