Today (12 Feb): U.S. Teacher Watercooler/2020 IVSS Webinar
2020 IVSS Update
GLOBE is excited to host the 2020 GLOBE International Virtual Science Symposium (IVSS), which is an extraordinary way for primary through undergraduate students from all GLOBE countries to showcase their GLOBE-related research. Reports, which are being accepted in multiple languages, can be uploaded through 10 March.
On Wednesday, 12 February, at 3:00 p.m. EST, Sarah Parsons from the GIO Education Team, will talk about the GLOBE IVSS 2020: what's new, how to submit a report, and looking to find those who are interested in judging projects this year; and GLOBE Partner Angela Rizzi from NASA LaRC will talk about How My NASA Data can support GLOBE investigations.
To register for the webinar, click here.
All students who submit a project to the IVSS will receive feedback from judges and virtual badges on their school page. In addition, each project that receives a four-star student research badge, plus a minimum of two optional badges, will be eligible for a drawing to receive a stipend to attend the 25th Anniversary GLOBE Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., USA in July 2020.
The stipends are as follows:
- North America: Two projects will receive $1,000 USD
- Africa: One project will receive $2,000 USD
- Asia and Pacific: One project will receive $2,000 USD
- Europe and Eurasia: One project will receive $2,000 USD
- Latin America and Caribbean: One project will receive $2,000 USD
- Near East and North Africa: One project will receive $2,000 USD
(Note that only students selected through the IVSS and the U.S. Regional Student Research Symposia will be able to attend the 25th Anniversary GLOBE Annual Meeting.)
GLOBE is looking for judges who can read in English, Croatian, Arabic, Spanish, or French. Volunteers are STEM professionals, teachers, graduate students, and other interested community members who will assess student research projects. Please forward this information to relevant listservs, colleagues, peers, and other people who may be interested! (A one-pager is available to help recruit judges.) To sign up to judge, click here.
- Informational webinar: 30 October 2019 (To view the recorded webinar, click here.)
- Reports accepted: through 10 March
- Judging webinar: 30 March (12:00 p.m. EDT)
- Judging period: 30 March – 06 April
- Feedback and virtual badges shared: 22 April
- Drawing for stipends: 22 April
For more information on the IVSS, including instructions for uploading research, click here.
If you have questions about the IVSS, please send an email to: email@example.com.
News origin: GLOBE Implementation Office