European Phenology Campaign - European Phenology Campaign
GLOBE Student Research Report
2021 Virtual Science Symposium Reports
2020_1 Autumn 2020
My Tree in Autumn
Autumn trees are miraculous. They shine with fireworks of colors.
Let´s find out when, how, and why the tree prepares for winter sleep.
Upload your measurements into the GLOBE database and compare your data with schools across Europe.
Schools registered for the campaign will receive 3 learning activities for students and regular newsletters with invitations to webinars. They will also have the opportunity to earn a GLOBE certificate and be part of the lively campaign community! The registration ended on September 10th, but it is never too late to join. If you wish to do so, please write to email@example.com.
Select one of the 7 species (Hazel, Fig, Lime, Oak, Cherry, Birch, Beech) that GLOBE students around Europe follow in autumn.
What else can you do?
- Research how the autumn change of trees relates to weather.
- Find out, how tall your tree is - try new tree height activity.
- Join webinars organised in cooperation with scientists from Trees around the GLOBE campaign
- Take pictures with GrowApp and make a time-lapse video.
- Share your results and pictures with other schools at the discussion forum.
- Get inspired by research and activities of other students.
- Connect to teachers and students from other countries within the School Collaboration group.
- Read the article "Why do the leaves change color?" and learn why and how the autumn change of trees happen.
The benefits are multiple for the students such as observing nature and learning to be patient. They analyse the results, make a hypothesis and give the conclusion in the end which is the basis for the scientific way of thinking.
Ankica Veseljić, OS Banija, Croatia
Activities for students
- Activity 1: My Tree + How Tall Is My Tree
- Activity 2: Color Change of Leaves
- Activity 3: My Green Down Data + Data Upload Guide
To observe and record your tree color change (activities 2 and 3) you will need the GLOBE Plant Color Guide. If you don’t have the Guide, please contact your GLOBE country coordinator.
Do you want to read more about GLOBE green down observations? Download the Green down protocol, Field guide and Data Sheet from the Download materials tab.
2020 Autumn Collaboration group
Why join the Collaboration Group?
Apart from new knowledge about phenology, your students will also learn to communicate with international students. The skill that is essential when living in the 21st century.
What can you do within the collaboration group?
- regularly exchange data and pictures by e-mail
- plan a call and discuss your experience and results
- plan a student research project together
How to join?
If you would like to join or you need any further information, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pictures by: Veliko Karachiviev on Unsplash, Chris Lawton on Unsplash, Nova Kakhovka Young Naturalists Station - GLOBE school