European Phenology Campaign - European Phenology Campaign
My Tree in Autumn
In autumn, the trees shine with shades of yellow and red as they prepare for winter sleep. Their leaves gradually change colour and fall down in a process called green-down.
Let´s experience the beauty of autumn change together!
Schools registered for the campaign will receive three educational activities for students and a regular newsletter with invitations to webinars. Active schools will be awarded a GLOBE certificate for being part of the vibrant campaign community!
The 2023 Autumn Tree Campaign is now running. If you wish to join, please let us know about it
For further information about the campaign, please read below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to start?
Choose one or more of the seven species (hazel, fig, lime, oak, sour cherry, birch, beech) that GLOBE students monitor throughout Europe in autumn. Follow the activities (below) and watch how your tree changes during autumn.
What else can members do?
- Research how the autumn change of trees relates to weather.
- Find out, how tall your tree is by trying the tree height activity.
- Read the article "Why do the leaves change color?" and learn more about autumn change.
- Join webinars organized in cooperation with scientists.
- Take pictures with GrowApp and make a time-lapse video.
- Share results and pictures with other schools at the discussion forum - a great place to connect with others and even find partners for collaboration.
- Get inspired by the research and activities of other students.
- Connect to other teachers and students - at the discussion forum you may even find partners for collaboration.
"The benefits are multiple for the students such as observing nature and learning to be patient. They analyse the results, make a hypothesis and give the conclusion in the end which is the basis for the scientific way of thinking."
Ankica Veseljić, OS Banija, Croatia
Activities for students
- Activity 1: My Tree
- Activity 2: Color Change of Leaves
- Activity 3: My Green Down Data + Data Upload Guide
To observe and record tree color change (Activities 2 and 3) students will need the GLOBE Plant Color Guide. To get this guide, contact your GLOBE country coordinator.
To read more about GLOBE green down observations, download the Green-Down protocol, Field guide and Data Sheet from the Download materials tab.
Apart from new knowledge about phenology, students learn to communicate with international students. These skills are essential for living in the 21st century.
How to start a collaboration?
Go to the campaign discussion forum and invite partners to collaborate by post. Wait for a post to reach other schools registered on the forum and get ready for new partnerships.
After finding a partner school, what can members do?
- Regularly exchange data and pictures by email
- Plan a call and discuss their experience and results
- Plan a student research project together