2023 Spring - European Phenology Campaign
2023 Spring Tree Campaign
The trees are beautiful. They wake up again each spring. Observe your tree from buds to leaves and share your measurements in the GLOBE database. Find out how important is the role of trees in the carbon cycle and in cooling our cities.
The spring campaign runs from February until the beginning of June. To join the campaign, please register.
Already 180 school teams with more than 2,600 students have joined the campaign this spring.
What can you expect?
- 5 activities guiding you through Green-up observations
- 4 activities for everyone who is interested in the role of trees in the global carbon cycle
- Tree-height measurement activity
- Sharing of results and pictures at the campaign discussion forum
- 3 webinars where you will learn from scientists about phenology and how trees cool cities and get inspiration from other schools.
- Opportunity to cooperate with a partner school(s) from your country or abroad
- Certificates and virtual badges for active schools
If you have any questions or ideas, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to start?
Select one of the 7 species (Hazel, Fig, Lime, Oak, Sour cherry, Birch, Beech) that GLOBE students around Europe follow in spring.
What else can you do?
- Take pictures with GrowApp and make a time-lapse video.
- Share your results and pictures with other schools at the discussion forum.
- Get trained in Green-up observations - protocol e-training
- Get inspired by the research and activities of other students.
- Connect to teachers and students from other countries within the School Collaboration group.
- Learn more about the role of trees in the carbon cycle. Read more.
"During observations, the students tend to be more perceptive as they were interested in how the weather temperature affected the budburst. They’ve found out which tree burst earliest and which latest, which tree’s leaves grew fastest during the same weather conditions."
Rasa Gaidiene, Anyksciai distr. Troskunai Kazys Inciura Gymnasium, Lithuania
Activities for students
- Activity 1: My Tree + carbon activity: Tree Growth Game
- Activity 2: Look at the Buds + Data Sheet + Carbon Around Me
- Activity 3: First Leaves + carbon activity: Carbon in my tree + Data Sheet
- Activity 4: My Green Up Data + Data Upload Guide + carbon activity: The Case of Missing Carbon
- Activity 5: Green Color Scale
You can also measure your tree height with the activity: How tall is my tree?
Explore how your tree affects the microclimate in its surroundings and how trees help us to cool the urban environment: Air-conditioned by Trees
Schools that register can earn virtual badges and get them displayed on the school profile.
Data entry — you will earn this badge if you upload data for at least one tree into the GLOBE database, following Activity 4.
Collaboration — you will earn this badge if you share at the discussion forum or send by e-mail the following:
- Picture of your tree without leaves
- Date of budburst
- Picture of your tree with leaves
2023 Spring Collaboration group
Besides new knowledge about phenology, your students will also learn to communicate with international students. This skill is essential when living in the 21st century.
What can you do within the collaboration group?
- Regularly exchange data and pictures by e-mail
- Share your results via Padlet, Wakelet, Bookcreator or other online tools
- Plan a virtual meeting and discuss your experience and results
- Plan a phenology project together
Registration for the 2023 Spring Collaboration group has finished.
For more information about the Collaboration Group, email Lenka Kleger at email@example.com.